It might have looked like I left this again, but no, I've been busy working. I finally got my hands on a decent resource (OpenGL SuperBible, 5th Edition) and I'm looking to move everything to OpenGL 3.3 and start using shaders.
The good news is that this means I'm going to have far more powerful tools at my disposal. The downside is that I have to learn a lot, and I've spent all this time reworking everything from the ground up. I'll soon have a triangle up and running.
The upcoming examples may use GLUT instead of SDL, since that's what the Bible uses, but I've not decided that that's what I'll end up using.