Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Project 1 - Sci-Fi RPG

So, the first project I want to work on. A Computer Role Playing Game, or CRPG. Set in space.

My goals here are somewhat grand, which might explain why the going is so slow. I've been curious for a while about procedural content, an interest fed in no small part by Shamus Young (over at www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale). The goal of this little project? To create an CRPG spanning an entire galaxy. The player should be able to explore different star systems, realistically (or close to it) depicted, visit planets and moons, etc. No two playthroughs should be alike, given the number of choices the players would be given.

I had originally wished to start by modeling a simple physics model, and add to it as I went, but that approach turned out not to be too practical. Instead, I've realized I need to approach this in a way that allows me to see some real progress on a relatively consistent fashion.

The plan now is to set achievable goals, and get them done in a timely manner. I know what the end product should look like, I just need to get from here to there. I don't know what the road will be like, and I guess I'll be doing a lot of backtracking this way, but three steps froward, two steps back is faster than no steps at all.

A more experienced programmer or designer would of course know how to start and handle a project better, but I'm lacking in experience. Hopefully I'll gain some of that with this.

So, first goal: Get a window running. I should be done with it by tonight, and post the screenshot.

Let's get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment