Monday, September 12, 2011

It's full of stars!

I've gotten a few new features into the framework, such as a first implementation on 'shooting', but that's not what I want to talk about today.

So far, I've focused solely on functional details. Making models, making sure the models are displayed, movement, views and such. The result is... well, it's functional. Of course I want to have something good before I start polishing. A polished turd is still a turd, so I have to turn it into something else first.

The traditional way of making a background is making use of a skybox. This is basically a cube you draw around the scene. With the aid of something called cubemapping, you can slap the sky on the inside and the textures used fool the eye into thinking it's looking at a dome, rather than a cube. No seams or anything, if done correctly.

Of course, I didn't have the textures to make it look good handy.while there are plenty of images of space around, there's very few of a look at the complete sky, and those that are have fish eye effects. I could have slapped a few images, merged them together or something and called it a day, but I wanted something special.

So, I started a little side project. The idea being, I'd create the background out of a real galaxy I made up on the spot. This would mean create all the stars, jump into an appropriate position inside the galaxy and take pictures of what is visible in each direction. That way I would have the textures I needed for the cube map. I could scale the definition as much as I want, or move to a different spot and have the constelations in the background actually shift properly.

How to do it, though? A galaxy like our milky way has on the order of a hundred billion stars. Can't really draw them one at a time. Instead, my plan is to split the space the galaxy occupies into as many blocks as I can manage, and give it shape with the use of two functions.

One of the functions will give the galaxy a shape. The second will add some higher frequency noise to make it look more interesting.

I will represent the blocks with points, and once I have it all working try to improve the appearance. I really want the GPU to do the heavy lifting here. I can make a shader program that checks the position of each point and assigns it a value for each function, then multiplies them together. But if I tell the GPU to draw a million points one at a time, the overhead on the calls will slow things to a crawl. So what I do instead is make use of instanced drawing.

Instanced drawing means I tell the gpu to draw a singlemodel (in my case, as ingle point) as many times as I want. It's helpful for drawing many identical objects. The result, after setting the color to solid red, is not very impressive:

4096 points, all drawn on top of each other.
Of course, drawing several identical points means they get drawn in the same spot. In order to add variation, the gpu gives me an extra variable, an instance id, which I can manipulate for some interesting effects.

For my first test, I'm sending 0x1000 points to the gpu. That's 4096 in decimal, but you'll see why I work in hex in a bit. This means the instance ids range from 0x0 to 0xFFF (4095). What I can do is treat each of the hex digits as a coordinate in one of the axis, x, y and z, and move the point by that amount. So for example, the point 0x123 maps to position (1, 2, 3). I use bit masks and some bitwise arithmetic to work out the positions, which is why I do it this way. Computers, as you know, like binary and powers of 2 better than decimal.

Adding the instance id into the mix then, the result is a cube made of red dots. Not very impressinve right now, but it's a start.

I'm moving the points a bit, as well, so they appear centered.
I can play around with color too. For example, if I treat x as Red, y as Green and z as Blue, I get a colorful cube:

Ok, so back to the galaxy. First, I'll give it a proper shape. A cube is hardly the proper shape, so let's ignore points outside of a central sphere. For that, I'll give points further than 1 unit from the center a color of 0.1. There may be a few stragglers around the galaxy, but they're few and far between.


Much better. Now, galaxies tend to be shaped as disks, more than spheres, so we want to squash the sphere as well. What we want is to decrease the intensity with regards to the height from the plane. I'll use y to measure height from the plane, and to avoid the break being so obvious I'll also diminish the intensity along the diskthe farther you are from the center. The result:


Not so bad. Still need to add more features, though. For example, our galaxy has spiral arms. These will require a bit more thinking.

I didn't get quite as far as I meant to, mostly due to Deus Ex. Still, I don't want to leave you without an update so check out Framework-0.0.6r. You can do everything you could do before, and now shoot too! The space key now fires instead of accelerating, you accelerate with Left Shift. Fun* game to play: see how much you can shoot before it starts slowing down the game. TODO: delete the bullets when they're no longer relevant.

I've also made the folder with all the releases public, so anyone can look up the history without digging through the archives. Framework releases.

* It's fun for me, but then I had fun with the first release too.

No comments:

Post a Comment